In 2014 Scallywags Theatre Company were approached by staff at Elms Bank specialist Arts College who had been looking for a company to deliver drama based workshops to a group of young people aged between 11 and 18 years old living with PMLD (Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties). Over a period of ten weeks the company developed a series of highly sensory workshops based largely on the P1 – P3 scale that allowed pupils to explore new environments, develop independent learning skills, and engage with drama and performance based activities regardless of their limitations. This project became known as ‘The Scallywags Explorers’.
Key aspects of our workshops include:
- Immersing students in new environments by offering a range of sensory stimuli, transporting them to exotic locations such as the leafy rainforest, under the sea, and the chilly North Pole which pupils are allowed to explore at their own pace to stimulate independent learning.
- Use of live music, song and chants to encourage active participation and establish learned responses with pupils.
- Incorporation of puppetry and recurring characters throughout the workshops helps to develop short term memory skills.
- Interactive storytelling, incorporating physical actions and emotions allows students to be placed right at the centre of the action as they become trainee ‘Scallywags Explorers’.
- A combination of large scale group work and one to one interaction assists confidence building and interaction with new people until trust is established.
- Access to a resource pack full of games and craft activities that can be continued outside of the workshops.
Scallywags are committed to developing their Explorer workshop programme further in partnership with schools in 2015. We aim to cater to the needs of all pupils to ensure our work is as suited to their requirements as possible. Each workshop package is therefore unique to each school. If you would like to make a booking enquiry, arrange a consultation session or simply wish to know more about our work please send an email to the address marked below and we will respond to your enquiry as soon as possible.